TO ENTER THE ESSAY CONTEST
Read the book, available at your school library or nearby Los Angeles Public Library branch library.
Compose an essay of no more than 300 words using three separate paragraphs explaining:
1. Your reactions to the book as a whole.
2. Your thoughts about a character or scene that stuck with you.
3. What it would mean for you to meet the author.
Type the essay using 12 point font and print on 8 1/2" x 11" paper.
• Type total word count at end, on a separate line.
• No title is required.
• Check spelling, punctuation, and grammar carefully. Mistakes will disqualify the entry.
• Attach the completed Contest Entry Form to the essay.
• Mail to the address on the Contest Entry Form.
Online option: Use this online form. Complete the contest entry information and submit the essay following the instructions given above.
Individual students may each submit their own entry.
Teachers may select the three most original entries per classroom to submit.
Only one entry per student is allowed.
Mailed entries: postmarked by November 3, 2017.
Online entries: submitted by November 3, 2017 by 11:59 p.m. PST using this online form
The FOCAL Judges will choose three essays. Each winner will be notified by November 20, 2017.
FOCAL is the Friends support group
for the Children’s Literature Department
of Los Angeles Public Library’s Central Library