Online Entry Form
Read the book, available at your school library, public library or bookstore.
Compose an essay of no more than 300 words using three separate paragraphs explaining:
1. Your reactions to the book as a whole.
2. Your thoughts about a character or scene that stuck with you.
3. What it would mean for you to meet the author.
Type the essay in your word processor using 12 point font.
• No title is required.
• Check spelling, punctuation, and grammar carefully. Mistakes will disqualify the entry.
• Be sure there are no more than 300 words.
Submit online Use this page . Complete the contest entry form provided below the Contest Rules and submit the essay by copy/pasting it into the space labeled “Write your essay in the space below.” Be sure to include the word count on a separate line at the end.
Individual students may each submit their own entry.
Only one entry per student is allowed.
Teachers may select the 3 most original entries per classroom to submit.
Online entries only: submit by October 21, 2023 – by 11:59 p.m. PST using this form.
The FOCAL Judging Panel will choose the three winning essays. Each winner will be notified by November 1
All applicable sections MUST be completed. (Phones may not work with this form.)
You may print your completed, checked form for your records before submitting.
If this form does not work on your device, you may use the one here: